11 September, 2023

It's All In the Way You View Things

 Last week I stopped by my church for just a couple of minutes to pick something up and when I came back out, my van would not start. It was completely dead and it would not even jump. I later got it running and the next morning headed towards my mechanics shop and halfway there the car stalled and was completely dead. I know it was the alternator and most likely the battery. I had to have the van towed in. One of the families in my church loaned me a car to drive while mine was in the shop. I just picked it up and the bill was $540. When I got back in town I mentioned to a friend about the whole thing and he was far more upset than I have been about this whole thing and he asked me why I was so calm about it. I told him that we had planned to leave for Rochester, Minnesota the day after my van broke down. I told him that if it had not broken down when it did, it would have broken down while we were on the road which would have been a whole different mess and we probably would not have been able to complete our trip to see our kids and granddaughters and our new grandson. I told him I was thankful that it broke down when it did, that I was thankful for people who would loan me their car so that I could get things done that needed to be done, and that I was thankful that we were not stranded somewhere between here and Minnesota. He said, "but you had to spend more than $500! I said, true, but those things happen in life, and asked him how much he thought it might have cost if I was broken down out in the middle of nowhere. I said, "It's all in the way you view things. I thank God that he was watching out for me." He just thinks I'm crazy... but he's the one all upset and I'm the one with a grateful heart. So, I ask, who's the crazy one? 

No comments: