13 September, 2023

Context Matters


One of my pet peeves is when people cherry-pick scriptures out of context. Often times the meaning of scripture is perverted by using it out of context, altering the meaning of what the Word of God is actually saying. Sometimes the meaning is completely changed while at other times by "creative editing" the blessing is pronounced but the requirement for that blessing is removed. For example, I frequently see Romans 15:13 quoted on Facebook. What you see is, "May the God of
hope fill you with all joy and peace." OK, yes, that is what the Word of God says... BUT, that quote leaves out a critical part. What Romans 15:13 actually says is: "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace AS YOU TRUST IN HIM, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Taken in context we learn that the blessing comes with obedience and trust in God! But that part is completely left out the way it is usually quoted, and the difference is crucial!

Over the years, I've had people ask me, "Why am I never receiving the blessings of God?" There is so much I could say here, but in particular, at this moment I want to zero in on the way scripture is taken out of context. The Word of God again has what I call "If/then conditions." We read, "If you... then I will." For example: "IF YOU fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. All these blessings will come on you and accompany you IF YOU obey the Lord your God." Those conditions are replete throughout the Bible. There are many other type omissions or pulling out of context that can do great harm. One that has always bothered me is the misuse of Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." It is often used to attempt to say that you and I can do anything we want whenever we want as if God has made us to be Superman or something. That is not what it says. When taken in context, we see that Paul is talking about the suffering he has endured for preaching the Gospel and he is indicating that he can make it because of the power of Christ. What Paul is saying is that as a follower of Christ, His power will enable us to endure. This verse does not mean you can go outside and say, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and start walking across the lake. Now, I fully believe that IF God somehow had a need for someone to do that, he could enable them to do that. But that's not usually how God works. What the scripture is saying is that through the power of Christ, you and I can do everything God intends for us to do. Put that scripture in context and just before and following that one cherry-picked verse Paul is referring to being able to endure the persecution and suffering that he has for the cause of preaching Jesus. I've heard slick salesmen say in multi-level marketing schemes trying to get someone to sign up under them, "You can do this and become wealthy because you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you." That is an absolute abuse of that verse of scripture. I have taught the people who sit under my teaching and preaching that it is vital to know the context and meaning of God's Word.

OK... rant over.

No comments: