31 August, 2023

Alarming Trend that I'm Seeing

For those who are not familiar with this, my church regularly hits the streets and sets up in various locations for people to stop in for prayer in a non-threatening environment. I've been involved in doing this now for 7 years and it's a great outreach into our community. We've seen dozens saved and had reports of miracles and countless answered prayers, and yes, we've gained new church members through this. But my purpose in this post is to talk about a trend that I've been seeing over the past year while ministering to people. I don't know the exact percentage, but I'd estimate that nearly half of the people who have stopped in for prayer have talked about how they had left the church in the past few years or even days. That fact alone is very disturbing, but what troubles me far more deeply is that there has been a large percentage of those people who reported that their primary reason for leaving their church was that their pastor was no longer preaching the Bible or that the pastor was preaching things that did not line up to Biblical doctrine. If it had only been said a time or two I might question the validity of what they were saying, but I've heard this now multiple times, I'd guestimate, at least 14-15 times. And this was not people talking about one church but several local churches. Just this week I've had two more conversations and prayers with people along the same lines. It's alarming, but it goes deeper... every single one of these that I have spoken to is now hesitant to go to another church. This tells me that they've been wounded by this modern, "get them in by any means" approach and there are going to be churches and ministers stand accountable before God for the damage they have done to the Body of Christ as they preach "another gospel" to try to draw more people in. All I can say is, "God help us!"
 

No comments: