23 August, 2012

Escape the Curse!


I had someone ask me last week why I "talk so much" about tithing. First of all, if you know me at all, I really don't talk that much about tithing or giving at all. In fact, I am known for notoriously forgetting to receive the offering at church. The issue is, some people simply don't want to be reminded of what is lacking in their lives. Most of the people who gripe and complain when tithing is mentioned barely give to the church at all, if ever. My thinking is that if you are not going to give to the church, why complain if it does not concern you? A true observation that I have made in my 20 plus years of pastoring... I have NEVER had a true tither come to me to complain about how the money of the church was being spent. Not only that, I've never had a person who was faithfully tithing come to me and whine about their financial situation. I'm not saying that they were always rich, nor that they have not had lean times... however, their needs have always been met, even when unemployed or in lean times.

THIS is why I teach and practice tithing! It works! God's Word is true and He is faithful! I want others to experience this for themselves! I want to see them escape the curse and live under the blessing of God!

Let's be clear... Tithe means "tenth."  The Bible indicates that 10% of your income or increase belongs to God. (Let's clear this up now... if you have something in your hand today that you did not have yesterday, you have "increased". Period. Increase is increase, no matter where it comes from, and all increase should be tithed on!)
Look at it this way; the tithe is your seed. Each time you receive increase, the first 10 percent should go back to God. It's just like the farmer who sets back seed to replant for his next harvest.
If he fails to set aside the seed, there will not be anything to create the new crop. So, you sow your seed and then expect a harvest. The sad fact is that millions of people live under a curse because they have eaten their seed! They spent the tithe (seed) on themselves and then they wonder why there is never enough. The Bible says that it is like having holes in your purse, and there is never enough to meet the need. Whatever you do, obey God in your giving! This is the ONLY way to escape the curse!

“Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me!
But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’In tithes and offerings.You are cursed with a curse,For you have robbed Me,Even this whole nation.
10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,That there may be food in My house,And try Me now in this,”Says the Lord of hosts,“If I will not open for you the windows of heavenAnd pour out for you such blessingThat there will not be room enough to receive it.

No comments: