24 August, 2008

If Tongues is of the Devil...

One of my internet friends posted this little joke on a messaging board this morning that while it is not really that funny in and of itself, it was one of those moments that I had to laugh and think, "Why did I never think of that?"

Here's the joke:
Two drunks staggered into a revival meeting.
A moment or two later, the preacher spoke in tongues.
One drunk said to the other drunk, I'll tell you! "That speaking in tongues stuff is of the devil!"
The other drunk replied, "No it ain't,'cause if it was, we'd have it."


So, I am thinking, "Duh?" this morning.
In all the years I have attempted to defend the attacks of people in the church world who have made the claim that we Pentecostal/Charismatic folks are doing something of the devil when we speak in tongues, why have I never thought of the response, "If it is of the devil, then why is it only happening with believers and followers of Christ?" What a no-brainer! I have never heard of a drunk or an addict, a prostitute, a thief, or any other sinner speaking in tongues. Only those with a real experience in Christ... and yet well meaning folks who think they have all the answers try to put us "tongue-talkers" down with their "it's of the devil" claim.

Thanks for the laugh Marvin... and the simple refutation of this foolish claim!

1Co 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

No comments: