21 March, 2008

I Miss the Old Days

Anyone remember the Chicago tune, "Old Days"?

Old days,
Good times I remember
Fun days,
Filled with simple pleasures
Drive-in movies

Comic books and blue jeans

Howdy doody

Baseball cards and birthdays

Take me back
To a world gone away
Memories
Seem like yesterday

Old days
Good times I remember
Gold days
Days Ill always treasure
Funny faces
Full of love and laughter
Funny places

Summer nights and
streetcars
Take me back
To a world gone away Boyhood memories Seem like yesterday


I know that a lot of you like me really miss the old days too.
But you know what one of the thing I miss? I miss the simplicity of things from days gone by. Some may love the choices we have today, and in fact in some areas of life, I do enjoy the choices, but tell me, do we really need 60 varieties of toilet paper? Good grief, Charmin alone must have 10 varieties!
Is there a good reason for having hundreds of choices in what type soap you will buy? I could write forever on that one alone, but let me get to the point of this blog entry.

Last night, my daughter and I were at Walmart and she asked me if she could have some Fudgsicles. We went back to the freezer section, and after more than 10 minutes of looking, I was getting really stressed out... and so was she!

There were Fudgsicles with No Sugar Added, Low Carb, Low Fat, No Fat and God only knows what other varieties were in that case, but there was not one box of a good, old fashioned, original Fudgsicle. None!
We finally found some off brand, cheap imitation (that really disappointed us when we got home and tried them) but there were no REAL Fudgsicles to be found.

Ashley said to me, "Dad, if it has the word 'Fudge' in the name, it does not belong in a diet!"
She was SO mad.
We saw some of her friends later on in the store and she went into a rant about the whole ordeal again. I have to agree with her.
Look... if I want to eat a Fudgsicle, that is my choice. I don't want low fat, no fat, chemical substitutes for sugar... Give me what I want! I want the fat! I want the chocolate and I want the sugar! That's what makes it FUDGE!!!

I miss the days when we had the right to eat what we want, when we want, and no one tried to guilt us or condemn us.

Yes... I miss the old days.
I miss drinking soda from a bottle that we pulled from a cooler full of cold water and you needed a bottle opener to get the top off.
I miss baseball cards with gum in the package. (We only had one brand of them back then too.)

I miss the simple life of sitting out in the yard and catching fire flies until it was time to go to bed. And no one worried about someone snatching us from the yard.

I wish my kids could have known those simple pleasures.

No comments: