07 February, 2008

I'm Still Standing With Mike!

On a message board where I am a member, a friend of mine and fellow Huckabee supporter asked if I had heard John McCain's speech today. He said that it was a great speech and that he (my friend) was ready to throw his support behind McCain.
The following was my response to him and others who posted on this message board:

Huh? Good speech? You bet it was a good speech, but all he did was say what you wanted to hear. That is the problem with McCain. He will say what ever he needs to say. He votes against the tax cuts twice, but now he will make them permanent.
He changed his position on illegal immigration right before our eyes today.
He is still John McCain. The John McCain of the Keating Five.
The John McCain of McCain-Feingold.
The John McCain of McCain-Kennedy Immigration Reform.
The John McCain who spoke against religious leaders in 2000, calling them "agents of intolerance."
He now tries to spin that he was misunderstood in this statement, but later he said, "I must not and will not retract anything that I said in that speech at Virginia Beach. It was carefully crafted, it was carefully thought out."
He said what he meant, and he meant what he said.
I remember, even if everyone else forgets.

On the issue of gay marriage, in 2005 McCain opposed a federal gay-marriage ban. Now, however, likely realizing that most Americans think otherwise, McCain says he supports a gay-marriage ban.
Again, saying whatever he needs to say to fool the people and gain their support.

No, I cannot support him.

1 comment:

Brian Roden said...

One of the things I like about Gov. Mike is that even if you don't always agree with his position on certain issues, you know how he's going to be from one day to the next, and you know he bases his stand on beliefs and principles, not the latest polls. So what if he's not conservative enough for Rush and Sean on all the issues?