08 June, 2007

Woo Hah! What A Ride!

I very seldom post about news happenings, but I had to put this one on here for those who never pay attention to the news.

Benjamin Carpenter, seen pictured in the wheelchair took the ride of his life yesterday when the handles of his wheelchair became caught in the grill of a truck and the truck driver, unaware that he was there, pushed him down the highway for 4 miles at speeds as high as 50 mph. Apparently, he was crossing a street when the light turned green and the truck driver could not see him. Somehow, the handles got caught in the grill, and the ride was on.

This all occurred in Paw Paw, Michigan. Someone called the police dispatcher and said, "You are not going to believe this: There is a semi truck pushing a guy in a wheelchair on Red Arrow Highway." I bet the dispatcher thought it was some kind of a joke! When the police finally arrived and pulled over the truck, the driver did not believe them until he actually saw it with his own eyes. (Can you blame him?)
Amazingly, not only was Carpenter unharmed, police said he was in a very calm state when they got to him, with the only mishap being that he spilled his Pepsi on himself. (If it were me, they'd have to check to see if I had filled my pants!)

This is one of the more bizarre stories that I have seen in the news in awhile.

No comments: