17 August, 2023

Time to Resurrect This Blog

 

Years ago, when I was still writing my blog, I did a series about when God annoys you. I might need to start that again because he sure did annoy me today. I'd been tied up on the phone and had not had time to eat breakfast today, so on my way to the church, I decided to have brunch. The place was not busy at all and I had coffee brought to me literally within seconds of my being seated. The server just disappeared. It was literally almost 15 minutes before my order was taken. By then, I needed a refill on my coffee. I waited and waited and soon saw not only my meal but another table's food sitting in the window waiting to be served. It was there for a minimum of 5 minutes, probably longer. The guy at the other table said, "Maybe it's self-serve?" She finally came out, but rather than bring our food, she went and waited on another table that had come in during her absence. This was a party of 8 and it took forever. She finally brought our food and she asked, "Will there be anything else?" I said, "Yes, I'd still like some coffee please." She said, "Oh, I guess I forgot that." She went and got the coffee, but filled everyone else's cups and ran out before she got back to me. She went back and started another pot, so it was several more minutes before I got any coffee. In fact, I was nearly finished with my meal. I was not happy at all, but I tried to stay pleasant about it, but in my mind, I'm thinking, "This woman is not getting a tip today." I never did get a check, so I finally just walked up to the register. She said nothing, other than that my bill was $14 something. As I fished in my wallet to get some money out, I heard the Lord whisper, "Give her $40." I was like, "Why, Lord!" but I heard it again. To be honest, I was not happy with God. In fact, I was downright annoyed at him, but I handed her two twenties and told her to have a wonderful day. She said, "But sir..." and I just held my hand up and said, "The Lord told me to give you that, so you just take it." Her whole demeanor changed and she said, "God must have sent you because I've had a really bad day in tips and I was in the back crying a while ago and was ready to quit." She hugged me and said thank you, and I told her to thank God because it was from Him. As I walked out of the place I was feeling like a whipped puppy. Out in my van, I just sat there for a minute and I said, "I get it, Lord... but I'm still not happy." But I've come to understand something over the years... God's not really concerned so much about making us happy as he is with us learning to be obedient. Excuse men now... I need to go pray about my attitude.

No comments: