12 October, 2021

Where Is the Love?

Earlier today I posted a video made by Queen, not long before Freddie Mercury died. I make no bones about it, I have always loved Queen's music and was a huge admirer of Mercury's talent. The guy's talent was almost matchless. His voice was so unique but he also was a gifted writer, was a visionary in the music industry, and helped pioneer such tools as multi-tracking in rock music. No other artist could pull a crowd into the act the way Freddie Mercury did. Anyway... that's not the point of this blog entry.  After my post earlier today I received what was supposed to be a strong rebuke, but was one of the most unChristian, unloving tirades I experienced from a so-called man of God in my lifetime. The guy would fit in very well at Westboro Baptist. He called Freddie Mercury a lot of vile names, said he is burning in Hell, went deep into a rant about homosexuality that was absolutely hate-filled and downright vulgar. Then he turned on me for listening to a "Faggot Band" and it went downhill from there. First of all, I deeply resent the use of that word. Secondly, Mercury was the only member of the band who was gay. I also resent this guy passing judgment on Mercury's soul. None of us were there and we don't know if Mercury ever accepted Christ or not. I honestly pray he did, but I don't know either, so I'll leave it at that. I do know that he was raised in another religion, but did not practice it as an adult. That fact makes the next fact particularly puzzling and gives me a glimmer of hope that just maybe the man did have an encounter with Christ at some point. That fact is that this man who was raised in another religion wrote, performed, and recorded a song about Jesus. That just blows my mind. But I digress. 

The plain and simple fact that I wanted to write about is this: For a man who calls himself a Christian and a pastor to gleefully speak about a man (any man) burning in Hell the way this so-called pastor did is every bit as disgusting as anything Freddie Mercury may have ever done in his lifetime. I pray that man sees this and it strikes a chord in his heart and he falls on his face before God and repents. I've been grieved to the point of tears ever since I read his vile, hate-filled tirade. I pray for you sir.  

Let me be clear, I know what the Bible says about homosexuality, but not only homosexuality but all other sin as well. That's clear. But it is even more clear that the Word says that ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God. It tells us that if we believe in our heart and confess with our heart that Jesus is Lord, then we are saved and we will see Jesus face to face. That's equally true for all sinners, no matter what we have or have not done. It's time we start speaking love and renounce such hatred as was displayed in that message today. 

No comments: