19 October, 2017

It's Never Too Late!

I look in the mirror nowadays and barely recognize the guy who stares back at me. It's hard to believe that I'm only 16 months shy of turning 60. In my head and mind that vibrant 35 year old is still kicking and screaming. But the mirror tells the tale. The graying and thinning hair, the sagging jawline and eyes and the dunlap disease around my waistline tell me that all those years of "intending to" start exercising have come to naught. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready for the grave and I'm better than what I was a few years ago. An encounter with a blocked artery that should have killed me, but thankfully was discovered before having a major heart attack gave me my first reality call. That blockage required a stint and a boatload of medications which the told me I'd be on for the rest of my life. After that, I began working on my weight. I slowly dropped from 238 pounds to a low of 193, but then it began to edge back up and the next thing I knew I was back to 212 pounds and beginning to have a lot of problems again. I found myself praying and asking God to help me... when I can to a startling reality... God was not going to help me as I ate doughnuts and Hostess pies. God gave me a brain and expects me to use it. So, a few weeks ago, I made a decision... no more talking about it; it was time to exercise. I've "started" before, and done a few days and found myself slipping back into my sedentary lifestyle that led me to this condition.  So I started a group on Facebook which I have named "Temple Builders" where others are joining me in this battle to beat our bodies into subjection. We are sharing our struggles and our successes. We have agreed to hold one another accountable as well. I've made it a goal to exercise a minimum of 4 days per week to start. Thus far I've met or exceeded that goal each week and in 3 weeks I'm down 8 pounds. My wife and I have joined Planet Fitness, which opens in just a few days and we will begin going to work out together once it opens. I've set a long-term goal for myself. On my 60th birthday, I want to be down to a lean and fit 185 pounds. I've not been there since I was in my 30's. I'll be honest, I look in the mirror some days and tell myself it's too late and that the damage has been done.  But I refuse to accept that. I'm telling myself daily that it is NOT too late and that I'm going to turn back the tide and reverse the damage.  I invite folks to help hold me accountable, and if there are any readers who'd like to join me in this battle, feel free to join our group on Facebook by clicking this link. Temple Builders

No comments: