07 February, 2017

Where Is Your Passion?

I'm a people watcher. What I mean by that is that while I do in fact listen to what people say, I watch them and I pay far more attention to what they do. You see, as the old saying goes, "Words are easy but actions speak louder than words." As a pastor, I'm really not impressed with the person who "puts on a show" around the church house or the church people. I'm impressed by the actions I witness when they don't even know people are watching. The person who acts the part in the church house but then becomes a "secret agent" Christian when they walk out the door betrays their true heart. And it's not me... God views things pretty much the way I do. If you doubt that, try reading his word, because he says so. People can "say" how much they love God and they want to see the Kingdom of God advanced, but then they spend far more time, energy and money on their hobby than they do with God. I don't have to go any further... let's let the words of Jesus address this from Matthew 6:19-21:
"Don't store up treasures on earth! Moths and rust can destroy them, and thieves can break in and steal them. Instead, store up your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy them, and thieves cannot break in and steal them. Your heart will always be where your treasure is."

Jesus clearly says that your heart will be reflected by what your passion is. Some people's passion is in doing good works, and they try to say they do this for Christ, but the truth is that they do it for personal recognition and gratification. They have deluded themselves into thinking it's all for God, but they take all the glory and God's word says that he will not share his glory with anyone or anything. Some refuse to give to the church saying that they prefer to do good themselves so that they know where "their money" is going. That betrays their heart because number 1, it is "their money" and number 2, the reason truth is that they want the emotional rush of giving to someone so they can feel good, and they know that someone knows what they have done. Just as important, they are saying, "I don't think the pastor and the church have the smarts nor the heart to do the right thing like I do." That shows their heart loud and clear.

Let me ask you today... where is your passion?  How much time do you give to your favorite tv shows... your hobby, your golf, your music, your reading (or whatever it may be). Now how much time do you give to reaching the lost? How much time do you give to your church? Oh, I know... that's the pastor's job.  Is it? Check that one out in the word of God and let me know what you find.

Where is YOUR passion?

No comments: