15 December, 2016

Who Wants to Be A Blessing

"Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will show thee: And I will make thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing." (Gen. 12:1,2 KJV).

It is important for each of us to realize that as a child of God, we are part of the covenant of Abraham. It is God's will to bless His children. But, many people miss that an important condition to the blessing promised to Abraham was that he would not only be blessed but that he also would be a blessing to others. We are not blessed to hoard those blessings to ourselves. Rather, we are blessed so that we can take those blessings and in turn bless others. 

Today I was thinking about the final days of 2016 winding down and the New Year is just around the corner. As I thought about the new year and goals that I would like to meet, I immediately remembered a message I had preached several years ago titled "Blessed to Be A Blessing." In that sermon, I spoke on the idea of being a blessing to others and that we should ask God to make us a blessing every day.  I really believe that if we would shift our focus away from receiving blessings and focus on blessing others it would change our lives completely.  So, I came up with the following idea, and I want to invite others to join me. I am committing to praying every day of 2017 and asking God to make me a blessing to someone that day. I am asking God to help me to be so tuned into the Holy Spirit that I would hear his voice when he prompts and directs me to be a blessing to anyone, anywhere. I'm praying that God will show me ways in each and every day just how I can make a difference in people's lives. Whether it is a simple word of encouragement, helping someone do work they cannot do for themselves or some material blessing as the Lord provides, I just want to be used of God to be a blessing to others. It is my goal to bless more people this coming year than ever before. I have often said from the pulpit that if God can get it through you, He will get it to you.  So I am asking God to bless me, not so that I can buy a new car, a bigger house or big screen TV, but so that I can bless others and they will know that God loves and cares for them.

I am praying that God lays it upon the reader's heart to walk the journey with me in 2017. I'm praying that there will be others who will walk through doors that they have never walked through before so that you can be a blessing to someone. You will never know what kind of a blessing you are to someone just by saying or doing the simplest things that God lays on your heart to say and/or do for people. You see, it does not have to be something costly or elaborate to bless someone. Sometimes it is in the small things that we do that touch people on the deepest level. I pray others will join me, but if not, I'm asking that some will simply support me in prayer as I try to walk this out in 2017.

1 comment:

Salad Recipes said...

Hello matee great blog post