08 December, 2016

When All Is Said and Done

When all is said and done, what will be remembered of your life? I had one of the saddest conversations this evening with someone who was talking about a loved one who had died a few months ago. I made a comment about the person had been so faithful to their church and had been so good to so many people. I was stunned when she said, "he put on a good act in public, but I saw him in private and how he really lived." She spoke about several things in his life which, let's just say, would not reflect the life of a Christian. I attempted to defend him by saying that I'd never seen any of that type behavior or attitude and she said that what mattered was that God saw the real man too and that this why she did not attend church because she'd seen too much hypocrisy and that she figured no one really believed what they said they did.  After the conversation ended, I found myself wondering, "how do people really see me?" I have to ask if my actions and daily life align themselves with what I say I believe and preach. I know that some people will always be critical, but the fact remains that the old saying is true, "actions speak louder than words." Time to do some serious soul searching as I wonder, when all is said in done.... what will people have to say about me? 

No comments: