18 December, 2015

Life's Been Good Because of Jesus


Today marks an anniversary of sorts for me. December 18, 1980 was the day I was arrested on charges that would a year later send me to prison. In reality, I had been in police custody since the day before, but all the legal documents show they arrested me on December 18, so that's the day I have always gone with. Some would say I should not look back. I disagree. I will always look back, remember and rejoice at what God has done in my life.
Tonight I've thought back over my life, amazed at God's grace and goodness to me down through the years. After all these years I still am just amazed that He could love someone like me and did not just let me slide off into Hell. I stand in awe at what God has done in a life that was once wrecked and ravaged by sin and turned it around, gave me a wonderful life and used it all for His glory. June 15 of this year marked 34 years since I gave my life to Jesus Christ. 35 years ago today I was arrested and one year later exactly, December 18, 1981, I was sentenced to serve 2 - six year sentences in prison and went to jail that day. In that year in between the arrest and conviction is when I found Jesus and gave him my life. I had been bound by alcoholism and drug addiction with no hope for my future, and God saved me and miraculously delivered me from addictions and I have been clean now for more than 34 years. What a difference Jesus can make if we will only surrender our life completely to him, his Word, his will and his ways. 
Thank you Lord, for the life you have given me.

As I have thought on this tonight and what God has done for me and in me and that blessings He has poured out into my life, I was reminded of a song I heard long ago, while I was in prison. I liked it then... but I love and appreciate it at this stage of my life more than I could have ever imagined at 22 years old.  The song is called, "My Mind Forgets a Million Things."  
Here are the lyrics:
 
Life goes by, so much is past, most things change, but some things last
So many days just slip away, mellowing there like yesterday
 
My mind forgets a million things, places, dates, and names of kings
Only one memory stays new, the day I gave my life to You
 
The things I've done, the things I've seen, melt into a life long dream
And I become what I've gone through, I am so glad I've been there with You
 
My mind forgets a million things, places, dates, and names of kings
Only one memory stays new, the day I gave my life to You
 
The day will come when I'm so old, one more day will be like gold
And all the days I ever knew, are measured by my life with You
 
My mind forgets a million things, places, dates, and names of kings
Only one memory stays new, the day I gave my life to You.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a knocked off your donkey moment in the noonday sun, too. You're in good company.

Jim Martin