25 July, 2015

Where's the Respect?

I am appalled more and more at the lack of tact, decency and respect that people have for God, themselves and others. I'm not even going to go into detail, but the way people present themselves in public in their dress (or lack thereof) the failure to clean themselves up, their profane language and behavior... I could go on and on, but I sometimes think that people just have zero class or respect for themselves or anyone else.  

Today, I was performing a marriage ceremony when I turned and looked and saw the maid of honor pull a cell phone from her bra and take a couple of selfies and then snapped a couple of pictures of the bride coming down the aisle. She then put the phone back in her bra.  Then a little while later I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and turned to see one of the groomsmen drinking from a flask he had pulled from his coat pocket. This is while the couple is reciting their vows! I'm thinking first of all, where's the respect for God? But if he had no respect for God (for all I know, he may not have believed in God) then how about a little respect for his friends who had honored him with privilege of standing with them on one of the most important days of their lives. And if he had no respect for them, how about a little respect for himself... or all the people sitting there watching him? I was just dumbfounded. What has our society come to?

4 comments:

Jim Martin said...

I believe that I would have stopped the ceremony right there and called them down.

Anonymous said...

The unsaved will behave like the unsaved. Shouldn't expect anything less. I take it the bride and groom were unbelievers as well, for if they were born again, the wedding day would be a distant second in importance to their day of salvation.

Darrell said...

Pretty pious attititude. You are wrong, the couple are born again believers. Does that somehow mean that their wedding day should not be important to them? Maybe yours was not, but my wedding day ranks up there as one the most important days of my life, even after 30 years.

Anonymous said...

Not pious at all, Didn't say not important. Said second, only to the day of salvation. Comment about them possibly being unbelievers was based on the members of the wedding party's lack of respect, as you put it, for God's institution of marriage and the ceremony itself. No insult intended, just speculation based on association, which does speak often times of our own condition.