17 July, 2015

Entertaining Angels

I just had an experience that has left me sitting here for almost an hour asking if it really happened. I was driving from my house in town to the church where I pastor and I saw a guy walking along the road through downtown near the railroad tracks.  He appeared to be homeless as he was pretty disheveled in his appearance and just had that look. I felt a nudge in my spirit to pick him up, so I circled back around a few blocks and went to pick him up. He was right where I had seen him before. I pulled over and asked him if he would like a ride and he smiled, said thanks, and jumped in. He asked if I could possibly take him to Knoxville, which was pretty much out of my way, but I told him I would. Honestly, I did not want to, but since I felt like the Lord told me to pick this guy up that I should take him where he wanted to go. So, I'm driving down Grand Avenue headed out of town and he said in a timid sounding voice, "I hate to ask you, but I'm really hungry. Is there anyway you would consider getting me something to eat?" Now, I normally would not tell something like this, but this month has been particularly tight for us, and I only had a few dollars on me and we really could not afford to feed this guy... not right now.  Yet something told me to feed him. So I pulled over into one of the restaurants. We went in and he asked me if I could get him a cheeseburger and fries to go.  I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I did not even have enough money to order anything for myself. So, I ordered the food for him to go and then excused myself to go to the bathroom. Honestly, I was more than a little perplexed and questioning God as to why he would ask me to do this when things are so tight right now and I really went to the bathroom to pray and ask God just what was going on. I'd love to tell you that God spoke to me like thunder... but I did not hear a word from God. Nothing!  After a couple of minutes I walked back out to where we were sitting and the dude was gone. I looked all over and did not see him. I asked the server (who I knew) where the guy had gone and she looked at me like I was crazy. She told me that I had come into the place all alone. I thought they were playing a joke and asked her again and she said, "Pastor D, are you all right? You've been acting funny since you came in."  I asked her again and she insisted that I had come in alone. I paid for the food and left and sat out in my van for several minutes before driving to the church. I got to the church and I sat here for probably 30 minutes or more before I finally called my wife and said, "Are you ready to think that I have absolutely gone crazy?" (She said, "And what makes today any different than any day?" I told her the story and she was like, "WOAH! That's crazy!"  I told her, I believe I just spent time with an angel! 

Hebrews 13:2 says, "Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing so some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it."

I don't know what this means. Was it a test? 
I really don't know... but I'm telling you this totally freaked me out!

1 comment:

Michelle Wetnight said...

Lets see what God is up to!