09 November, 2012

What We Give

* Disclaimer - This is not an original of mine. I had this on a photocopied paper stashed in a folder in my filing cabinet dating back many years, and I really have no idea just where I even got it from now. I'd like to give credit to the author, but I do not know who it is.


There is one who scatters, yet increases more;
And there is one who withholds more than is right,
But it leads to poverty.
Proverbs 11:24

During the Great Depression, two families shared a house in Pennsylvania. One family occupied the upper floor, and the other family lived on the lower level.. The family which lived downstairs was always inviting people in to share what they had. Whenever there was an opportunity for them to help out, they would do so. No matter how much they gave, they always seemed to have enough. The family on the upper floor, however, scoffed at the way the downstairs family lived. they stored all extras in a locker in the pantry. They gave nothing away, always saving more in case times got worse. It was not until they discovered that rats had gotten into their pantry and destroyed all that they saved that they were sorrowful for what they had done. Interestingly, the rats had not disturbed the downstairs pantry.

Selfishness leads to despair. true joy comes to us not from what we own but from what we are able to give to others. We were put on this earth to serve one another, and when we fail to do so, there is always a price to pay. When we give what we have, God will bless us with more. The blessings will be double because of the joy that giving brings.

"Give, and it will be given to you. 
A good measure, pressed down, 
shaken together and running over, 
will be poured into your lap. 
For with the measure you use, 
it will be measured to you.”
Matthew 6:38

Prayer:  Lord, take what I have and used it for your glory. I have nothing except what you have given me. Help me to share from my abundance and give all that I can to those who are in need. I am blessed to be a blessing.

No comments: