05 September, 2012

Your Position Means Everything

A few minutes ago a good friend of mine posted pictures of a storm rolling into the Saint Louis metro area along with a shot of a radar screen which shows a wall of high winds getting ready to hit that area. Right after that, another friend of mine in the Quad Cities posted how that he was sitting in his study listening to the sounds of a severe thunderstorm rolling into the area. I'm sitting in my home office, which, if you've not seen it, 3 walls of the office are almost all windows, and looking outside, the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the temperature is much cooler than it was yesterday. Simply, it is just beautiful. So, just to the north of me, there are thunderstorms rolling in. To the south of me, it is dark and gloomy and a wind storm is going to hit any second now... and here I sit, in relative paradise.

Amazing... and what a spiritual picture I see in this scenario!

In this life, you can be surrounded by storms, turbulence and uncertainty, yet you can be in a place of perfect peace! The secret is positioning yourself in Christ. The Word of God says, in Isaiah 26:3, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." 
In the Amplified Bible that reads, "You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind [both its inclination and its character] is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You." 
This is talking about positioning. You cannot have that perfect peace when you are living on the fringes of Christianity. You have to be committed. You have to stake out your place in Christ and in all aspects of your life, stay there. You cannot serve God when it is convenient and put him in a box when you want to stray out into areas where your faith and believe system would not mix. True faith in God is found when you position yourself IN Christ, and live there.

That same verse in the Contemporary English Version it reads, "The Lord gives perfect peace to those whose faith is firm."
A firm foundation. That's what you have when you position yourself in Christ. Where you position yourself means everything. I choose Christ. It does not mean I won't face the storms... but I'm safe where I am positioned. I'm anchored in the Rock. I know that the storms will pass and here, I am safe and secure until the storm passes over.

No comments: