02 July, 2012

Time to Re-Focus


"Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will show thee: And I will make thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing." (Gen. 12:1,2 KJV).


As children of God, we are part of the covenant of Abraham. It is God's will to bless us. But, an important condition to the blessing promised to Abraham was that he would not only be blessed, but that he also would be a blessing till all families of the earth are blessed. It just seems to me that most people ignore that second part. They want the blessings to be to heaped upon them, but they are negligent or at best, very slow to release those blessings to others. 


I received an email from a friend of mine in Nigeria this morning in which he spoke to me about beginning the second half of this year, encouraging me to let go of the "stuff" that has gone on the past 6 months and to make the next six months the New Beginning that I had looked for as we started 2012. He reminded me of my own words (actually the words of T.D. Jakes) that if someone chooses to walk away from you, to let them go, break ties and realize that they are NOT a part of my destiny or else they would not have walked away. Robert is right. Time to let go of those who have walked away and ignore anything coming from them either directly or indirectly.


As I thought about the next six months and the goals that I would like to meet between now and the New Year, I remembered a message I had preached several years ago. In it I spoke on being a blessing and that we should ask God to make us a blessing to someone everyday. I said this would change our lives completely. I still believe that.... but somehow my focus had changed after the relentless attacks and abandonment of the past 9 or 10 months. I've made a decision to begin each day by praying that God would make me a blessing to someone that day and to pray that I would be so tuned in to God that I would hear his voice when he prompts me to be a blessing. I will further pray that God would show me ways in every situation how I can make a difference in peoples lives.  I have done this before, and when I did, I began to see doors open for me to walk through to bless someone. Then thing is, many people think that being a blessing is always giving something tangible to someone else. But there were times that the door would open where it was just the opportune time to just say something encouraging to strangers in coffee shop or the grocery store. In times past where I prayed this way, that I began to feel much more confident and bold to speak what God laid on my heart (which is a big thing if you know me and understand just how shy I am). And the more I shared and blessed people, whether it be by word or deed, I began to get a zeal within me to witness to people. I would find myself looking for such opportunities to bless someone... anyone...  in any way that I could even if it was just a friendly smile. 


Now after receiving the email from my friend Robert, I realize that I had become so battle weary over the past year that I had lost that focus, and that I have constantly been in a defensive posture rather than looking for ways to minister and be a blessing. After reading his email and some prayer this morning, I have made the determination to reset my focus and press toward the mark of the high calling of Christ Jesus. I've begun today to pray that prayer again. It is my goal to be a blessing to more people in the next six months than I have ever touched before. I praying and asking God to not only open the door to be a blessing, but to lead at least 20 people to Christ in the next six months. I am also praying that God lays it upon someone else' heart  who reads this to do the same... to walk through doors that they have never walked through before so that you can be a blessing to some one. I am convinced that none of us will never truly know what a blessing we can be until we yield ourselves to the Holy Spirit and allow him to use us to bless others.  Just by saying the simplist things that God lays on your heart to say to people can be life changing. It could just be a hello, or God bless you or even letting someone know you are praying for them. It could be that by purchasing that other persons meal in McDonald's that they see the love of Christ. It is not necessary to do or say something really extravagant just to bless someone. It can be those little things you do each day that can have the greatest impact on a persons life. I encourage you to join me and make yourself available and be open in every moment of every day to act on the things that God lays on your heart to do or say. It will not only change others lives but it will also make a great change in you. Join me in making the second half of 2012 be the best six months of your life!

No comments: