20 November, 2009

And How Much God Do You Want?


I've always had rather strange reading habits. It is not unusual for me to be reading as many as 7 or 8 books at a time. Sometimes I will set one of them down for a week or more before picking it up again and continuing to read. I'm the same way with magazines. I have a stack of magazines sitting in my office that I have not gotten around to reading yet, but from time to time I will catch up. I've been in kind of a reading funk for awhile now, where I just did not read near as much as usual. As a result, I just picked up one magazine this week that I received in August but had not begun to read. It was the August 09 issue of Voice of the Martyrs magazine. If you are not familiar with Voice of the Martyrs, it highlights stories from around the world of Christians who are facing persecution because of their faith in Jesus. Anyway, in this issue there was one particular quote in the first article that grabbed my attention and I've been thinking about it ever since and I decided to share it here because it is so relevant to all of us who follow Christ today in a time where it is so difficult to spin the people who sit in our churches out of their comfort zone.

Read it and tell me what you think:

"I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please. Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. I don't want enough of God to make me love a black man or pick beets with a migrant worker. I want ecstasy, not transformation. I want warmth of the womb, not a new birth. I want a pound of Eternal in a paper sack. I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please." - Wilbur Rees

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the quote is powerful. Something to begin the day with the right focus. What's so amazing to me is that when I allow myself to think it's to hard to trust God, I don't see His blessings. It's only when I get out of myself that I can trust Him and then His blessings are more than I would have ever, ever imagined!