24 March, 2009

Does God Ever Annoy You (part 10)

For those who are newer readers, this is part of an on going series that I started in February of 2006. If you want to check out the other parts, follow this link and you will find the other nine in reverse order. Does God Ever Annoy You?

I've not added to my "Does God Ever Annoy You?" series for about a year and a half, but today I just have to. God's really been messing with me (read "dealing with me") about my attitude. Today's annoyance is that God is concerned more about my attitude in life than he is about what is causing my attitude. (Ticks me off too!)

I'd love to go into all the details, but I just can't without getting myself into a whole lot of trouble. Suffice it to say I've got an attitude today. It's one of those times in life. First, I've not felt well for over a week, and the past 3 days have just felt awful. Add to that the fact that the weather stinks, and one thing after another has happened, and then I got one piece of bad news after another, then another... and then the biggie hit me... and my attitude is just in the crapper. I mean, you really don't want to be around me type attitude. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Well, a couple of hours ago I start feeling the Holy Spirit nudging at me at me, and God is giving me that, "Come sit with me awhile" thing, and I'm knowing all the while that I can't, because if I do He is going to start dealing with me about my bad attitude. Opps.. too late! He already is!

So, I try to ignore God. Fat chance of that. The Holy Spirit kept poking me, whispering, "Come over here awhile." Try as I might, He would not leave me alone, and I could not ignore the voice of God... and believe me, I tried! (Ever wonder why we try something so foolish?) I mean, I know I'm wrong already, but I'm like, "Come on God. I've got a good reason to be angry and upset. You know what so and so said, and you know about this and about that... and the weather just sucks, and my laptop is broken, and my head hurts, my back hurts and... (yada, yada, yada)." I mean, I'm just throwing out a litany of excuses for my bad attitude, and I'm laying on thick when I hear God say, "Are you about ready to get off that pity pot yet?" I'm like, "Are you even listening to me Lord? I've got a boat load of stuff happening all at once and you don't seem to care?" And I hear God say, "I know all that, but what I am interested in is how are you going to deal with it? How are you going to act?"
I KNEW it would come back to me... that's why I did not want to talk to God about it in the first place! Kind of reminds me of what God said to Cain in Genesis 4 when Cain had a bit of a 'tude... "
God spoke to Cain: "Why this tantrum? Why the sulking? If you do well, won't you be accepted? And if you don't do well, sin is lying in wait for you, ready to pounce; it's out to get you, you've got to master it." (The Message)

Of course, I know that it's me, that I'm completely wrong and that I've been failing the test... but it's one of those times when God annoys me, because even when I'm feeling justified within myself for my attitude, he demands that I confront that part of my flesh sooner, rather than later and bring it unto subjection. You win Lord. I'm trying...

No comments: