04 November, 2008

I Am Not Happy... But I Am Proud


As much as I think America missed it on this election, I still am proud that this nation has risen to the place that a black man could be elected President. I'm old enough to remember when the baseball players that I idolized were not able to eat in the same restaurants or sleep in the same hotel as the rest of the team because of the color of their skin.
I remember some terrible things that were done to people because they were black. I remember the pictures of black men (5, I think) hanging from the bridge in Alton, IL because they were accused of raping a white woman. I could go on and on, but I remember the way some of my friends were mistreated in school growing up, I remember the rioting and unrest of the 60's and early 70's.
I remember when... and today, a black man, actually, a half black man (which was even worse in the 60's) is our President elect.

While I may be very displeased politically, I am proud of our nation. We have come a long way... It took way too long... but today, I am proud.

No comments: