27 June, 2008

Another Look at the Lakeland Event

It seems I'm not going to be able to leave this one for awhile. I keep receiving emails and phone calls asking me about it. I have many friends who have fallen into the deception and have made the trek one or more times to be a part of this revival. I have been told about the wonderful praise and worship and how that if you are there you cannot help but feel God's presence. I've had some people tell me how awesome the worship was but that when Todd Bentley got up to speak the atmosphere changed. I've watched a few of the services online and I have to tell you, my spirit does not agree with what is happening there. I've prayed and asked the Lord to show me if I am wrong. But everything I am seeing grieves me.

I keep hearing people make statements like, "take what is good from it" or "eat the meat and spit out the bones." I'm sorry, I cannot agree with that. There is false teaching and things happening that are contrary to God's Word taking place in Lakeland.
Listen people... God does not ever violate or add to His scripture! I believe what we are witnessing is a deception of epic proportions.

There are several reasons why I will say that this event is not of God. (I am uncomfortable calling this a “revival.”)
The first and major reason is that Todd Bentley admits that he has an angel named Emma who appears as a beautiful woman. He has described her as wearing a long flowing dress and says she floats off the ground when she walks. He also claims to have the angel of William Branham and John G. Lake with him. He regularly talks about seeing angels, and having them talk to him, minister to him and even claims that the angels performed surgery on him when he was taken up to heaven.
I want to attest that angels are biblical and without question do exist, there is no Biblical precedent for this type of interaction with them. And nowhere in the Bible can we find female angels. Although, angels are neither male nor female, they without exception appear as men in every biblical example.

And note that in every scriptural case of a human having contact with an angel the angel always says, “Fear Not”. There was a reason for this. In our mortal bodies seeing an angel would startle or cause fear in all of us. The solders who were guarding the tomb of Jesus fainted when they saw the angel.
However Todd Bentley and others like him would have us believe that angels appear to them daily and engage them in normal everyday conversation.

When he describes his being taken up to Heaven, he says that the angels strapped him on a surgical table and that he was terrified. Does this sound like how God would operate?

18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions.

19 He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

Colossians 2:18-19



Well, people keep coming back at me with these questions:
What about the healings.
What about all the good stuff?

I have offered this to several people:
When I was in prison, I was surrounded by demon possessed men.
There were people who worshiped Satan.
There were people who worshiped false gods.
You could literally feel the evil around you.
But when 2 or 3 (or more) of those of us who were Christians got together and began to worship the Lord, his presence and glory came down.
Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in their midst."

I submit the same thing is true in Lakeland. True men and women of God are there, worshiping God and He is there. But his presence no more endorses Todd Bentley or the entire event there in Florida than he endorsed the activities taking place in the prison where I was incarcerated.

Don't buy into the "Eat the meat and spit out the bones" stuff. (Read the blog preceding this one about the Parable of the Brownies.
If you study scripture you will see that God is not too thrilled with a “mixture” in our worship... in fact He hates it.

I know you are still not convinced - I mean after all what about the great signs and wonders??
"For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect." (Matthew 24:24)
Remember the magicians were able to replicate almost every miracle that Moses performed before Pharaoh.

Think about it folks.

Matthew 7:22-23
Many will say to me in that day, Lord! Lord! Did we not prophecy in your Name, and through your name throw out demons, and through your Name do many wonderful works? And then I will say to them, I never knew you. Depart from me you workers of iniquity.

3 comments:

Ronald D. Erickson said...

Are we Simple Simons to believe that all workers of miracles and supernatural act vessels are "workers of iniquity?" I think the difference is if the vessels keep the Commandments of Jesus. There are bad eggs being used of God but no man can do such works unless God is with him. Supernatural works are the result of confirming the message in being from God. Prophets of God are not perfected unless God perfects them. As far as I know, Jesus of Nazareth is what we are to measure up to to please God the Father. Satan's messengers can not stand the Light of Day and do not trump in the final analysis.

Darrell said...

Ronald, have you forgotten how Pharoahs magicians replicated almost all of the miracles that Moses did? Jesus said that there will be those who will say, "Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name, drove out demons in your name, and performed many miracles in your name, didn't we?" That seems to indicate that some are doing works/miracles without the power of God. Somewhere you theology has holes in it.

Sean McKee said...

At least Joseph Smith was smart enough the give his angel a male name (Moroni).

Maybe Satan is just trying to be more P.C.