24 January, 2008

Enough Is Enough

The woman pictured above is Dana Jacobson, an anchorwoman on ESPN. On January 11, Jacobson was speaking at a celebrity roast in Atlantic City, N.J., when she unleashed a profane tirade, saying, "F--- Notre Dame," "F--- Touchdown Jesus" and finally "F--- Jesus." According to those at the Roast, Jacobson had been drinking heavily, drinking straight vodka. She was at the Roast representing ESPN and parent company ABC, yet neither company is willing to take any real action against her for these remarks. She was suspended for one week, however I feel that this is not enough for this kind of clear hate speech and vulgarity. She offered what she considers an apology, but I submit that it is pitiful and this woman deserves to be fired. Her emailed apology was to Catholic league president Bill Donohue and it says, ""I respect all religions and did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words." Excuse me? She meant exactly what she said, and it was directed at Christianity. Why is it that the only hate speech still allowed in the USA is that which is directed at Jesus Christ and Christianity? I submit that if this type comment was made about Islam, she would have been fired immediately. As I sit here typing this, they are talking on the news of an upcoming movie that is critical of Islam and the Quran, and the Islamic nations are threatening violence all over the world if this documentary is released. Remember the Dutch cartoons which poked fun of Islam a few years ago? My point is, this kind of stuff is not tolerated when it tears at any other religion, but it is obviously open season on Christianity. Remember just recently the comments made by Kathy Griffin at the Emmy Awards? Griffin used her appearance on the Emmy' Awards to tell Jesus to "suck it," responding to athletes who thank Jesus when they win a game or an award. No action was taken against Griffin. This type thing is becoming more and more common.

I say enough is enough. I think it is time that Christians stop being so passive and begin to speak up and make our voice heard. I challenge all who care to email ESPN and ABC and demand the firing of Jacobson. I have already written to them and stated that my next step is to write each of the sponsors who advertise on these networks to tell them that I will not purchase their products or services as long as they advertise on these networks and that I will continue this action until she is fired. I hope you will join me.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This had nothing to do with religion, but college sorts. She is not a Notre Dame fan and was simply bashing the sports program. She supports another school and not ND. She works for a sports channel and enjoys supporting her sports teams.

You need to know the full story before bashing someone.

Darrell said...

Are you REALLY that dense?