02 May, 2007

Don't Tell Me It's Come To This!

If you have never figured it out, I am a fan of the Saint Louis Cardinals. I've been a loyal fan since my daddy took me to my first baseball game in the "old, old Busch Stadium" which used to be known as Sportsman's Park. That was about 44 years ago. I've been a Cardinals fan through thick and thin. I rooted for them as they went to the World Series in '64, '67, '68, '82, '85, '87,'04 and '06. I also rooted for them during those excruciatingly painful 70's and 90's when the team was, let's just say, not so good. Good, bad or mediocre, I have been and will continue to be a fan of my beloved Cardinals. That being said, I have to say, that I am really beginning to worry about this years version of the Redbirds. They are looking pretty bad right now. I mean as in "they stink" bad. Last night, for example, I checked the score and the Birds were up 2-0 going into the 5th inning, and I'm thinking, hey, maybe they are gonna turn this season around. I was working my sermon for next Sunday and a bit later, (maybe 20 minutes?) I checked the score again and they were down 11-2! Hello? 11 runs in 2 innings? You've got to be kidding me! That's just the way this season is going. Seems like the only way they can win a game is for who ever is pitching that night to throw a 3 hit game and pray that none of those hits were home runs. They've had flashes of greatness as they have pounded out three or four games where they scored 10-12 runs, but the rest of the time, they are doing well to score 2. You just can't win games that way. I don't know what the problem is, although I must confess that I have done my share of analyzing this team and doing a lot of second guessing of LaRussa's decisions. I do believe it is time for a new hitting coach. Either that, or it is time to start sacrificing chickens, or maybe call on Jobu. I mean, somethings got to give!

What is bothering me more than anything is the fact that the Cubs have been woopin' up on the Birds and as of this moment, they are ahead of the Cards in the standings. Truthfully, the Cubs are playing far better than there record reflects, and I know that if the Redbirds do not turn it on and quick, then I they will certainly finish ahead of us in the NL Central division this year, and if that is the case, then this here Cardinals fan who lives in the heart of Cub Nation will have to start wearing a bag on his head due to the shame of it all! Pray saints pray, because I cannot bear the thought of the Cubs coming in ahead of the Cardinals. Anything but that!

No comments: