28 November, 2005

Can God Trust You?

Today’s entry is taken from the sermon I preached on stewardship on Sunday, November 27.

We often talk about how we trust God, but the question today is, “Can God Trust You?” This comes from the parable found in Luke the 16th chapter.

We are all “stewards” or managers. The bottom line is, it does not matter if you agree with the fact that you are a steward or not… you are one. End of discussion.
The definition I have used for a steward is, “Someone who manages someone else’s property, according to the wishes and desires of the owner.” Since we know that it all belongs to God, then he is the owner, we are the managers, and we are to manage his property according to his wishes and desired outcome. This issue must be settled first, HE is the owner, we are the managers. The question is, will you be a good steward or a foolish steward?

From our text, we find three things:
(I am going to divide each of these 3 things into their own posts)

The Accountability of the Steward
1) As a steward, there is coming a day of accountability. (vs 1-2)
As a steward, I am accountable because:
A) He is the owner & I am the steward
B) The owner has expectations of how the steward/manager will use what
been entrusted to him.
Some of the things entrusted to us are:
1) Ourselves. He expects a dedicated, consecrated life devoted to him.
Paul talked about this is Romans 12:1
“Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as
living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to
God--this is your spiritual act of worship.”

The Apostle Paul is telling us that this is our act of Worship, to give ourselves
totally to God.

The manner in which we live our lives is a far more important form
of Worship
than the songs we sing or the words we say in church.


The 2nd thing entrusted to us is:

2) Our Possessions
He has an expectation of what I’m going to do with the things that He has entrusted
to me to manage in my life. That’s why Jesus says
in Luke 14:33 “33 In the same
way, any of you who does not give up
everything he has cannot be my disciple.”

3) Our Time
Paul writes to the Church in Ephesis in chapter 5:15-17
“Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise,
making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will
is.”

4) Our Gifts or Abilities
Listen to Peter in 1 Pet. 4:10
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully
administering God’s grace in its various
forms.

God our owner has expectations that I will take my Gifts and
abilities and use them to build up his Kingdom.
Whether it’s myself, my possessions, my time, my gifts and
talents…, they are all to be used for Him, and we will be
help accountable on how we are using those gifts.

5) The 5th area that I will be accountable in or for is The Gospel.
The Good News. The story of Redemption.
The Story of Jesus saving us from our sin and so much more.

1 Thess. 2:4 says, “ On the contrary, we speak as men approved by
God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please
men but God, who tests our hearts.” All of these areas you and I are accountable for.

No comments: