25 May, 2016

What Happened to America?

I was talking with someone on the phone just a few days ago and the conversation turned to the moral decadence of America as a whole. My friend asked me, "What happened to the nation we grew up in?" I told him about a conversation that I remember having at a cookout with several of the people from my church in the fall of 1992. One of the men from my church asked me why I would not vote for Bill Clinton (mind you, that up to this point in my life I had almost always voted as a Democrat). I told him that I had been looking into this man and everything I saw about him was corrupt, immoral and that his character was at best "shady". I told him then, in September of 1992 that if Clinton was elected it would begin a downward spiral of the moral fabric of this nation and that he would bring about such a shift in our nation's moral fiber that it would bring disgrace to the White House. I will NEVER forget that man's response to me. He said, and I quote, "If a man puts a dollar in my wallet and food on my table, I don't care what he does with his personal life." 

I would love to look that man in the eye today and ask him what he thinks about his statement today. I'm not trying to blame it all on Bill Clinton... far from it. I'm laying the fault at the feet of people who put selfish gain above moral fiber.

That my friends is what happened to this once great Nation. The self-indulgent, self-absorbed people of this Nation sold out and forfeited God's blessing for a buck. 
Unless America as a Nation heeds the words of 2 Chronicles 7:14, "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land" then America is doomed. This Nation cannot stand much longer headed in the direction it is going.

No comments: