30 June, 2015

What Ever Happened to the Blood? (revisited)

(I posted this in June of 2007 and wanted to repost it because 8 years later, I'm still wondering about it.)

I don't have time to really elaborate this right now, but I wanted to get the thought out there to discuss; What ever happened to our preaching on and dependence upon the blood of Jesus?

Turn on your TV set and listen to message after message by pastors, evangelists, teachers or whoever, and you will hear about prosperity, blessings, giving, and and a host of other topics (all of which are in the Word of God too) but you seldom, if ever, hear a message on the blood. (Let me make it clear that I am looking at my own face in the mirror as I make this statement.) I have to wonder, has the church of 2007 pushed the blood to the background because it is not the most PC thing to talk about? Is it because we consider it too messy, too scandalous to preach?
We must never forsake our teaching and preaching on the blood, because it is the blood that washes us clean and frees us from our life of bondage to sin.
Without the blood, we are nothing but a bunch of self-help gurus touting a bunch of psycho-babble.

Make no mistake about it, we are King's Kids. We have great promises and great power at our disposal... but without the blood, none of it is possible.
Only the blood can wash a sin-stained heart and create it anew.
Only the blood can redeem fallen man.
We must once again preach the blood stained cross of Calvary!

I love the words to the Matt Redman song:
Your blood speaks a better word 

Than all the empty claims I've heard upon this earth 
Speaks righteousness for me 
And stands in my defense
Jesus it's Your blood

[Chorus]

What can wash away our sins?
What can make us whole again?
Nothing but the blood 
Nothing but the blood of Jesus
What can wash us pure as snow?
Welcomed as the friends of God
Nothing but Your blood
Nothing but Your blood King Jesus

Your cross testifies in grace

Tells of the Father's heart to make a way for us
Now boldly we approach
Not by earthly confidence
It's only by Your blood

What can wash away our sins? 
What can make us whole again?
Nothing but the blood 
Nothing but the blood of Jesus
What can wash us pure as snow?
Welcomed as the friends of God
Nothing but Your blood
Nothing but Your blood King Jesus

No comments: