The Dawghowse is a place inside the head of husband, father and Pastor Darrell Garrett. It's the place where the real me lurks.
Be forewarned: It's probably not what you expect. Sometimes it's a serious place... sometimes it's not. Sometimes my thoughts are deep... and sometimes they are just plain weird.
Welcome to my world!
03 September, 2014
See You In Church On Sunday!
"Let us go into the house of the Lord." Psalm 122:1
One of my blog posts that has continuously drawn the most hits from people doing web searches was one from the early days of the Dawghowse about excuses that people give for not attending church.
I thought it would be good to add this list of reasons to miss church as well. I don't even know where I got this list any more, but I did tweak it a bit and add some of my own insight.
What's your reason for not going to church?
Before you answer, read Fifteen Reasons Why I Never Wash!
(1) I was forced to wash as a child.
(2) People who wash are all hypocrites - they think they are cleaner than everyone else.
(3) There are so many different kinds of soap; I just can't decide which one is best for me.
(4) I used to wash, but I got bored and stopped doing it.
(5) I only wash on special occasions like Christmas and Easter.
(6) None of my friends wash.
(7) I'll start washing when I get older and dirtier.
(8) I’m just too busy to wash.
(9) The bathroom is never warm enough in winter or cool enough in summer.
(10) The people who make soap are only after your money!
(11) It’s more important that I spend time with my family than wash.
(12) Mom and Dad need me, so I can’t wash.
(13) The soap company did not call me, so I’m not going to wash anymore.
(14) I don’t need to wash because I think about it and that’s good enough.
(15) I wash 5 or 6 times a year… that’s good enough.
Sound familiar? Speaking of the church, Paul writes: "There should be no division...its parts should have equal concern for each other...each one of you is a part of it" (1 Cor -27 NIV).
You are part of Christ's body, the church, so you need to be there! Watchman Nee says, "Alone I cannot serve the Lord effectively, and He will spare no pains to teach me this. He will bring things to an end, allowing doors to close and leaving me effectively knocking my head against a wall until I realize that I need the help of the body, as well as of the Lord."
There are truths taught in God's house that you won't hear anywhere else. There you'll find a Spiritual family to belong to, a faith to live by, and a focus that gets your eyes where they should be - on Christ! So, see you in church on Sunday!