19 April, 2013

All I Need


I'm still reading and studying in the books of Samuel and this week I was reading the story of Mephibosheth and I got to thinking about life. You know, it just seems like some people are never satisfied. No matter what they have themselves, they see others with more than they have and start wanting the same kind of things for themselves. They can be going along with life perfectly happy with themselves (or so it seems) until they see that someone else is getting to do something that they are not doing themselves, and suddenly they want to do what that other person is doing. Nothing prevented them from doing it themselves before, they simply chose not to do it. But when someone else does it, suddenly they have to be the ones doing it. It kind of reminds me of watching two infants playing in a pile of toys. There is always that one kid that no matter what he has to play with, when the other child picks up a toy, the first child now has to have it. I'm sure we've all witnessed this. And many folks grow up to be exactly this way. Discontented. Paul reminded Timothy that “godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Timothy 6:6). There is much wisdom and peace found in those words. But the sad and true fact is that for most people, their formula for great gain has to do with acquiring more money and more possessions and more recognition than the next guy. Godliness and contentment are near the end of the list of what they want.

In the passage I referenced in 2 Samuel, David had given Mephibosheth (the son of his friend Jonathan and the grandson of Saul) a special place at the king’s table. In fact, David wanted to know what else he could do for Mephibosheth.  Grateful, he expressed his thanks to David:
 “All my grandfather’s descendants deserved nothing but death from my lord the king, but you gave your servant a place among those who eat at your table. So what right do I have to make any more appeals to the king?” (2 Samuel 19:28).

In essence what Mephibosheth said was, “That’s all I need.” You see, he was grateful and content with the provisions he had been given. He was extremely grateful with the fact that his life had been spared and was that the king looked on him with favor. Rather than make a play for more, he said, "Thank you... I have enough. That's all I need."

It's my prayer today that I can live with that kind of grace, gratefulness and contentment. I've truly been blessed, for much like Mephibosheth, what I deserved was death and damnation in Hell... but because of Jesus, I have found favor with God. I have all I need in Jesus.

No comments: