29 May, 2011

A New Chapter

A couple of hours ago, my little girl, Ashley graduated from high school. She will be going for her college orientation later this week and then in just a few weeks, she will be moving to Edwardsville to attend SIU-E. It has hit me hard this weekend, my life and my wife's life are about to take a major and sudden shift. For the past 21 years, our lives have been largely shaped by raising our 2 kids. From feeding and diapers, to ballgames and concerts, and all sorts of activities and responsibilities, life has been about the kids. But Daniel will be 21 in July and Ashley 18 next month, and both are stretching their wings and flying on their own. While they will still "need" us, it's not going to be like it was. Suddenly, after a 21 year hiatus, life is going to transition back to the two of us. In many ways, I look forward to it. Yet in many ways, I'm saddened by the thought that my kids are not going to be "kids" any more, and that is a real jolt to my system. While in some respects, they would say they will always "need" dad... the truth is, they don't need me any more. At least not the way I am used to. There was a time when I was their hero, and there was nothing that dad could not do in their eyes. I'll miss that. Still, there is a new relationship growing between us... are more "real" relationship... and I cherish that. Change is in the air.  I have to say, I already am enjoying the fact that my wife and I have already begun rediscovering that loose type "freedom" that comes with the growing of the kids. It's nice to be able to just go and not worry about where the kids are, or having to be home in time for them to be home. I remember those long ago days when on a whim we would throw a suitcase in the car and just go. Things like that will be welcomed back! But I'm going to miss being "super-dad" in the eyes of my kids. 
But such is life.

2 comments:

NicoleSkysFamily said...

As far as I can see you are a wonderful father. I'm very sure that you will always be Daddy and you will always be their hero no matter how old you are!

NicoleSkysFamily said...

lol. no matter how old *they* are I mean!