05 April, 2011

Take Your Fries Back!

I've been preaching a series of messages for the last few weeks entitled, "Don't Let Satan Steal Your Fries."  The messages are about how Satan steals what is rightfully ours and already paid for, yet Satan tries to cheat us, not by taking it all, but rather some of our inheritance in Christ. The illustration is that of going to McDonald's, paying for a bag of fries, and when you get it, it is only half full. Jesus said in John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (NIV)  God wants us living to the full... the abundant life; but Satan desires to steal our fries, allowing us to only have half a bag.

This week, already, on only Tuesday morning at 8:21 AM, I've already spoken with countless people from my church, some who were there Sunday... most of who were not, who are stressed, beaten and frustrated with life... Hello? The fry snatcher cometh, seeking whom he may devour! 
Someone said to me yesterday... it (my life) is getting crazy, like everything is spinning out of control and I feel like I am going insane. Just saw another person speaking about the insanity level going through the roof. 

So, how do we deal with this? Not by screaming "I can't take it anymore."  Not by running away from God... but toward Him, and toward His Word.  Paul told us in 2 Corinthians 10:5 to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."  Memo to anyone and everyone: "We all have days (sometimes weeks or months) where we feel like life is spinning wildly out of control. I've learned that usually when life is feeling that way, it is because I have allowed my circumstances to dictate my thought life and my attitude.  Hey, I hear you... money is tight in an economy that is tanking. Gas prices took yet another spike overnight last night. Even as I sit here writing this, I'm fighting my own serious health issues and I am waiting for a call from the doctor's office to determine what to do next. I spoke with a young person yesterday who was talking about how unfair life is, and that they just wanted to run away sometimes. (Join the club hon!) Life is not easy! But running solves nothing, only delaying the day when we confront our issues and problems. A friend of mine who has had a thriving business has seen it melt away in this economy and recently said to me that he thought he'd rather die than face the loss of his business. I said to my friend, "Are you telling me that your business is the only thing you have in your life worth living for? What about your wife... your kids? What about our friendship... and most importantly, what about your relationship with Christ?"

Sunday, I did not get to preach my message in it's entirety, but I wanted to say then, and I am saying to all who read this today... "Today is the day you pursue and take your life back! The process of taking your life back begins by taking your thoughts back!  My church has heard me speak of this a lot recently... we need to realize that we may live in this earthly body in the natural realm... but as believers... followers of Christ, we are not limited by this natural realm.  We can draw from the power of God by taking control over our minds and making every thought line up with what the Word of God says.  Do not allow your circumstances to manipulate and control you, but rather meditate on God's Word and let the truth of that Word set you free!

Today... right now, begin to take captive every thought... when those those come into your mind, confront that thought with what the Word says. Declare that Word... God's promise over your life. In doing so, we are turning the table and setting ourselves up for victory. As we do so, we are positioning ourselves to receive the blessing and provision of God. As you take captive your thoughts, you are beginning to take your "fries" back, reclaiming what belongs to you and readying yourself to walk out the destiny that God has prepared for you.

Time to reclaim your fries! 

No comments: