17 March, 2011

Sometimes It Only Takes a Kind Word.

Today I was running around looking for something that I needed for a project I am working on, and my journey took me into a couple of pawn shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army and another thrift shop. In the process of this, I spotted a woman whom I had not seen in almost three years. Some of my readers knew, and others may recall my talking about Louise Piggee who was a dear friend of mine who left this life about two and a half years ago. Louise had occasionally brought this woman to church with her. She had struggled with drug addiction and other issues off and on. She actually quit coming before Louise passed away, and I have found myself thinking about this woman from time to time, and I was happy to see her.

I walked up to her and I could tell by the fearful look on her face that she did not know who I was as approached her. I spoke to her, calling her name and I said, "you don't remember me, do you?"  She looked puzzled at first, until I said, "Miss Piggee was one of my dearest friends and she introduced us."  I called her by name again and told her who I was. Her eyes lit up and I said, "Hello... (I don't want to use her name)."  She literally threw her arms around me and began to laugh and cry at the same time. She talked about how much it meant to her that I would remember "someone like me" after all this time. We stood and talked for a few moments and I could tell she was getting uncomfortable. Her physical appearance told the story, and I told her that no matter where life had taken her, Jesus still loved her, and that I believed that he sent me by to say that to her today. She said, "Bishop, I believe Jesus did send you here for me today."  I asked her if I could pray for her and she said she would like that. She would not tell me where she was living, but she took my card, and I am hoping that she will call. I'm believing God to pull her back to sanity and away from the hell she is trapped in. She told me that she really wants to get clean and serving God again, but that she is trapped.  I'm asking for people to pray with me that the trap is released and she calls on the name of the Lord and He sets her free.

No comments: