01 September, 2010

Your Thoughts, Please

I ran across this quote from Neil Cole's book "Church 3.0" today, and I honestly cannot make up my mind about how I feel about it. 


"We want to lower the bar of how we do church so everyone can do it, and raise the bar of what it means to be a disciple so that everyone will do it."  


One part of me... the biggest part, says that Cole is absolutely right. I've often spoke about re-thinking and re-doing "how we do church" and believe that most of the world feels they cannot "do" the religion/church thing the way we do it. Still, in this statement is room for something that scares me, and that is what has been embraced by most of the seeker sensitive churches. Lowering the bar cannot ever mean watering down the Gospel of Jesus Christ. A real and personal encounter with Christ will always produce change in the person who encounters him. I don't know Neil Cole, and I have not read his book, so I am going to assume the best of what he meant in this statement.  To me, lowering the bar is doing away with the man made religion and tradition, such as dress codes, hair styles, make up, jewelry and so on.  I guess I'm going to need to order the book and check it out for myself.


I am interested in the thoughts of others. 
Just taking this quote at face value, what are your thoughts? 

No comments: