29 June, 2010

The Simple Things of Life






Sometimes in life we can get so caught up in all the "stuff" that we miss the simple things of life. Yesterday was my daughter's 17th birthday and she wanted to take a couple of her friends to go shopping, and then she wanted to come home, make her own cake and have a few friends over to watch a movie. It was fun just watching her, because it was not that she really wanted to buy a lot, she just wanted to hang out with her friends. After lunch at Popeye's Chicken, some shopping and dinner at Olive Garden, we came home and she and her friends made her cake. Then they decided they wanted to make brownies and a steusel. There was about 5 or 6 kids in the kitchen cooking and a few more in the dining room eating and laughing like only teens can do. My wife and I were sitting in the living room and I looked over at her and she was just grinning and staring off into space. I asked her what she was thinking about and she said, "I'm just listening to the sounds." I just stopped and listened for a few minutes with her. There really just is not words to describe the simple joy that came in listening to them. They were having so much fun, and they have no idea how much pleasure it gave us to just know that they were having fun... without beer, drugs or sex. Just good clean fun. I really do love the simple things of life.

No comments: