12 March, 2009

The Matter of Prayer

I've come to realize that most people in America think prayer time is about themselves and getting their needs/wishes met. It's like "Hello God, nice to talk to you... now give me this and give me that... I need this, I want that. Fix this situation, please get me out of that one... thank you God... in Jesus Name. Amen." We are a society of consumers, and it has invaded our prayer life, such as it is. That's the way it is in our society... "it's all about me."

I've got a news flash. Prayer has far less to do with you and much more to do with God.
Prayer is about bringing glory and honor to the God of all creation.
Take a look at the so-called, "Lord's Prayer."
I believe this is not supposed to be something we recite to make us feel all religious, and good about ourselves. Rather, Jesus was giving us a pattern for prayer. When you look at it as a pattern or model for prayer, take a look at what he is showing us.

"Our Father, which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not unto temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, and the power and the glory, for ever."

If you notice, this "model" shows us that prayer is much more about magnifying God. It is about giving him glory. Recognizing his power and authority and will for our lives. Prayer is much more about us lifting up God than it is us trying to "get things" from him.

Just thinking out loud today.

No comments: