31 October, 2008

Are We Friends?

Yesterday I was talking with someone who I have known for a few years now, and they were absolutely irate over yesterdays blog entry. This person said that he could not believe that I could attack Barack Obama so viciously. I asked him how he saw an attack, and he started talking about the AP new article. I told him that these were not my words, this was done by an independent reporter and he simply was quoting Obama and looking at facts, and the facts prove that Obama is misrepresenting his self and his plan. He became irate, accusing me of being a racist and a host of other things. Sadly, as I pointed out to him, HE was the one being a racist, because he is willing to ignore facts and cast his vote for a man simply because of the color of his skin. Folks, that is sad. What is also sad, I have probably lost a friend, who accuses me of being prejudiced and a racist, when he really needs to take a good look in a mirror. Anyone who votes for any candidate simply because of the color of his skin is being racist... and that goes both ways. I've also met folks who are voting McCain based on the fact that they will not vote for a black man. It is hard for me to imagine that in 2008 people are still that shallow.

Now, to my friend, (I hope you are still reading) and to anyone else who may be upset with me about my political views... if we cease to be friends over something like this, then I have to question if we were ever really friends. People, friendship goes much deeper than politics. Real friends are friends no matter how they differ, be it in the areas of politics, religion, race, economic status or any other area. I have people that I dearly love and count as friends who are Muslim, Buddhist, atheist, as well (of course) Christian, even though we differ greatly in this area. I have friends who happen to be gay. We differ greatly in our view of their lifestyle, and they know that I do not approve of their choice of how to live their life, and I have told them so... still, we are friends. I have many friends who happen to have a different pigment to their skin... and I have friends, even family members, who have different political views. We can discuss, even argue over these political views, but at the end of the day, we are still friends and family. That's the way it is when you are true friends. But I guess some people can only be friends with others as long they mindlessly agree with them. That's really sad.

To all of you who read my blog...
We may agree, we may disagree about who will be POTUS, but no matter who wins this election... come Wednesday, we must ask ourselves this question... "Are we still friends?" I hope so. I know from my end, we are. How about you?

1 comment:

Phil Hoover said...

I had people whom I have loved for many years "kick me to the curb" in 2004 because I could not, in good conscience, vote for George W Bush.

Some of the same people haven't spoken to me since, in spite of my repeated attempts at strengthening, or repairing what I thought was friendship.