26 October, 2007

Does God Ever Annoy You? (part 9)

For those who have been readers of The Dawg Howse for some time, you may recall a series of posts that I began back in February of 2006 about those times we get annoyed at God. Periodically, something happens make me get annoyed at God and I have added it to this on-going saga. Today is entry number nine to this series. It never ceases to amaze me how that every time I write one of these, some very pious person has to write to me and tell me that I am skating on thin ice with God to say these things about Him. Hey... I'm just being honest!
And the truth is, if you will open your high and mighty eyes, that these really are not about God at all... they are about ME (and you!). Some of you may never verbally admit it, but if we'd be truthful about the matter, we sometimes don't like what God expects of us. OK... I will shut up now... On to Part 9 of "Does God Ever Annoy You?"

I actually am struggling to find the exact words to express this one, but I will do my best to explain. Has God ever spoken to you to do something, or to say something, and you know it is God, and you know you will do it... but you just don't want to do it right now.

Here is the thing that annoys me. I say I will do it, just not now... but God says NOW.
It's like God has this thing that He thinks my delayed obedience is actually disobedience!
OK, OK, OK... I know.... because God won't leave me alone with this...
I know that my delay actually is disobedience.
But I don't have to like it. Do I?

You know, this one is different than most of my posts in this series because I no sooner get the words out of my mouth or type them here, and it's like in my spirit, I hear the Lord saying, "Come on, Darrell!" He has reminded me of how many times I've told my kids to take out the trash, or do the dishes or some other thing, and they say something to the effect of, "I will dad, just give me a few minutes" and of course my response is, "No later, NOW!"
And I recall times when out my own mouth I have said to my son, "No, it is not obedience when you do what I told you to do a day after I told you to do it." (Thanks for making me eat my own words Lord.)

Just this morning I was having this conversation with the Lord in prayer because I had plans and I knew if I took the time to do what He was asking me to do, my plans would go out the window. And I'm trying to justify myself and my actions to the Lord (don't tell me you have never done that one either) when I felt the Lord impress upon my heart the scripture from Luke the ninth chapter were it reads:
(Luke 9:61-62)
"Then another said, "I'm ready to follow you, Master, but first excuse me while I get things straightened out at home." Jesus said, "No procrastination. No backward looks. You can't put God's kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day."

There He goes, using the Word on me again! How am I supposed to argue with that.
The thing about each one of these posts, if you have not figured it out yet, is that He's God, and I am not... which means He always wins.

But I still get annoyed at times!


1 comment:

Ken said...

Darrell,

It has always been my point of view that if it were wrong or even sin to be annoyed with, upset at or even questioning of God, that we would not have 150 Psalm's.

If someone gets annoyed at me and tells me why, I might get offended. Why? Because I am far from perfect and do not like having that pointed out.

But God is perfect. Perfect love, perfect mercy, perfect justice, etc. etc. He doesn't get offended when I tell Him why I am mad at Him. He just simply tells me why I am wrong and loves me!

Good post!

Ken