06 October, 2005

A Good Laugh... and aTime to Think (part 2)

It's almost 8:00 PM now, and I figure it is time to pick up on the topic I started this morning. I have to admit that there have been some interesting responses to the post I made this morning. The thing I find really odd is that no one responded to this post in the comments section, but rather I have received 7 or 8 emails and three friends actually called me to see if I was ok, because apparently they thought that I was being attacked from within my church and thus the response. All of you who emailed me or called, I appreciate your concern, but I want to go on record in saying that I have not been attacked, there are no problems in my church right now (at least that I know of) and everything I said today came as a result of seeing that picture of the church sign and a whole flood of previous battles and insane moments came rushing back into my mind as I thought of those who had been hurt by the church. A very sad but truthful reality is that the Jehovah's Witness's actually thrive because they look for folks that have been hurt in the church and they woo them into their fold. But that's a topic for another day.

What I wanted to focus on tonight is of a more positive nature.
We all know the things I mentioned this morning are real, and the sad reality is, the world also knows it is true. That is one reason why it is much more difficult to get those who need Christ most into the church house.
I have become more convinced than ever over the past year that it is time to get the church out of the building and into the streets. Traditionally, the church has had the mindset of "Come to us... we can help you" (Take a look at that sign again) and we should be making the first move, to get out of our box and go to where the pain is, rather than expecting those that are in pain to find us.
It is time that we do more in the church house than have a good time shouting and praising the Lord, but it is time for the church house to become a training center where the Body is equipped to go out into the fields to bring in the harvest.
But before the harvest can be brought in, the body must get in unity.
The divisions, the cliques, and all that other jazz has got to go.
I am convinced that our thinking has to change. We exist to do the work of Christ, and he came to seek and to save that which is lost.
This must become our primary purpose.
It is not about who gets recognition, or who holds an office or position; but it is about doing all that we do to glorify Christ.
We must develop the attitude John spoke of when he said, "I must decrease that he might increase."
It is not about us or what WE want. It is all about him and all for his glory.

When we get this straight in our hearts and heads, the rest will come to us naturally.

3 comments:

Umm Bye said...

Amen amen amen!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post Dawg. Love the line "go to where the pain is, rather than expecting those that are in pain to find us." I think this is it bro. Time for the church to become mobile.

Pastor Jeff said...

Hey, brother Darrell, right on the money. "It is time that we do more in the church house than have a good time shouting and praising the Lord, but it is time for the church house to become a training center where the Body is equipped to go out into the fields to bring in the harvest." Amen, that is what it's all about. And I pray that we get the church into unity, we are made to operate in one accord.